Monday, 6 March 2017

My trailer is down to the bones.

I did very little work on my trailer for several months, due to the busyness of life, and have more recently dived back into the reno. The trailer restoration guru's who are coaching me through my project, had told me that ideally all of the aluminum should come off of the trailer including the roof. This would allow me to truly identify all water damage and rot, and it also allows me to update the electrical and plumbing systems with new wire, pipes etc. So my trailer is now naked, and looking her age!


One surprise on this trailer, is that there appears to be no city water hook-up. (Thats the hose attachment on the side of that allows you to have fresh, pressurized water without filling your tank.)
I have been asking other Golden Falcon owners if they are missing this feature, and once again my Golden Falcon seems to be the only one like this, so I am back to my theory that it was a very early model. We will however add this feature in, as it should not be too complicated to do.


I have stored all of the aluminum in a custom build wooden storage "crib" that will protect it from anyone stepping on it or other mishaps. I am using space at our car dealership for my re-build so I am trying to be very respectful of their space and careful with all my parts. It's very hard to replace a lost item on a trailer this old.



I have discovered during the stripping down of the trailer, that this part of the process is probably the most difficult and labour intensive. You spend hours pulling nails one at a time, hoping not to damage the aluminum and also wondering what you are about to find. Overall the condition of this old trailer is much better than expected. The panels on the interior are not damaged at all, and the exterior damage is easy to fix.

The roof framing is almost perfect, but ironically I will be taking it off anyway, in order to switch out the old vinyl roof with solid birch paneling.  It was a long disgusting job to remove the insulation from the roof. Everywhere else on the trailer it was in bats, but the roof contained shaded clumps of insulation that stirred up old fibreglass dust everywhere. This old stuff is much heavier than our newer insulation, and by the end of the night, in-spite of wearing a mask, and long sleeves etc. I was begging for a shower.


So my basic plan is to start on the sides of the trailer and replace the rotten foot boards, then take on the front. I may have to strip it right back there and replace an interior panel. Not sure yet.
I will leave the rear till last, as I plan to make some structural changes there, so hopefully I am more experienced by the time I get there. Somewhere in the middle of all that, I will be stopping to work on the plumbing when my parents arrive back in the city. They custom built an RV in the 1970's from the ground up, so I am hoping to have them direct me through the plumbing install. I will be adding in a new toilet and sink that have vintage style, and running all new plumbing lines.

Here are some pictures of the areas I will be reconstructing.









So its going to be lots of fun!


SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave