Monday, 18 April 2016

And so it begins...

This week we got the Golden Falcon moved into her new home in Murray's auto dealership.
This will allow me to work on it all year round.


When you do a full restoration on a vintage trailer, all of the aluminum skin has to come off at some point to inspect the framing, repair any rot, and run any extra wiring you are hoping to add.

I spent a day removing the upper double bunk which was keeping the trailer closed in visually, and which needed to go, as we will not be bringing any children with us in this trailer. (I hope my kids are reading this. lol)                                                                            
                                                                                                   
                                                                                                                                                                 As well as this I removed the mahogany cabinet doors and hardware. Every loose piece of a vintage trailer must be put in a zip lock bag and labeled, so you know how to find them and put them back.


Then today my parents came by for a consultation.
I am very thankful to have my parents input on my project. They converted a Blue Bird school bus into an RV in the 1970's, so they know just about everything there is to know about whats involved and how to solve the problems that arise.

After they looked at everything with me today, it was decided that adding a shower would be impractical for the size of the trailer, and so that also allows me to keep the systems very simple. Just a tank of cold water and an old fashioned RV pump on the counter.



I just found this cool old pump with starbursts on it. This means you boil water to do your dishes, which I actually find very relaxing. (The slow down, and live simply aspect).




In addition to all this a marine style toilet will be installed in the bathroom, and my dad has come up with a genius way to add a black water tank to the trailer to make it self contained.




So the porta-potty that was in there is headed to the curb. There was actually something swishing around in there, so I think that will be Murray's job!
                                                     

And a final bonus discovered in the last two days, is that we plugged in the cool vintage refrigerator and it works perfectly!

My next task will be to start peeling back the skins on this tin can trailer!

                                                                                                           


2 comments:

  1. You've got your work cut out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm swooning over your camper. That boomerang laminate! The refrigerator! What a beauty! My Shasta has nothing like these. Great find.

    ReplyDelete